Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44

Thread: Shouldn't their be a Jewish Imm. Doll?

  1. #31
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Tatiana Tarasova is a top Russian figure skating coach and Ekaterina (Katia) Gordeeva is one of my all time favorite skaters. Her daughter Daria's nickname "Dasha" means gift, which I think would be a lovely name!

  2. #32
    Inactive Member linzystar's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 17th, 2005
    Posts
    167
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I had a Russian friend named Dasha when I was younger. I didn't know what it meant though. That's cool!

  3. #33
    Inactive Member dolllover's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2004
    Posts
    2,583
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My great-grandparents were from Russia and Germany. If AG did make a Russian/Jewish doll I would definitely buy her. I love the name Eileen, I'm not sure but I think it's Russian.

  4. #34
    Inactive Member dianasmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2004
    Posts
    1,086
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Dolllover: Eileen is an Irish name. Just like Colleen. Anything that ends in the "een" is probably Irish.

    And as far as Tatiana: That is Diana's Russian birthmother's name too. She named our daughter Viktoria, she was nicknamed Vika (Veeka) at the orphanage. We named her Diana Viktoria. Diana is after my maternal grandmother. I'm fine if she ever decides to change her name back to Viktoria too. (yes, we kept the "k" for the translated Russian spelling)

    Laurie

  5. #35
    Inactive Member cami713's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    1,375
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    And Tatiana- well, unfortunately it isn't russian.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    Tatiana is the ULTIMATE Russian/Baltic name. It's been one of the most popular names in Russia for almost a thousand years. It's a big favorite of the working/peasant class. When Nicholas and Alexandra named one of their daughters Tatiana, the Russian people were ecstatic. This was the first time a "common" name had been used by the royalty.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    What?! Czar Nicholas of Russia's second-born daughter was named Tatiana. That's very much a Russian name, a Russian princess no less!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL, I was just about to say this, looks like I don't have to [img]wink.gif[/img] !!

    I love the history of Czar Nicholas II and his family, it looks like quite a few others here do, as well!

    Anastasia and Marie are my favorites of the Grand Duchesses (yes, so original, aren't I?), but neither of those names sound "foreign" enough, do they? But, then, Kirsten isn't all that foreign a name to many of us, either.

    I would love if they would do another immigrant doll, and have her home country be a very important part of her story. I really think the collection is lacking without a Jewish doll, and a larger percentage of immigrant girls. That's such a large part of America, the different cultures, and peoples and nations we have all living in one country.
    It would show them to be more about just a pretty doll that sells well (which is what they look like after the Elizabeth fiasco), and much more about teaching history through learning in a fun way.

  6. #36
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A Russian girl could be called Maria, but not if she's Jewish!(Maria = Mary = Mother of Jesus). I would like to see either a Jewish or Italian Ellis Island doll.

  7. #37
    Inactive Member cami713's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    1,375
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A Russian girl could be called Maria, but not if she's Jewish!(Maria = Mary = Mother of Jesus).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I didn't even think of that!! Thanks for pointing it out!

  8. #38
    Inactive Member Katie from IL's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2005
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    My real name wasn't derived from any ethnicity, but rather my mom made it up, a combo between my maternal grandmother who was named Kathlyn and the name Christina, a name my mom loved but couldn't name a Jewish girl(CHRIST-ina).

    My real name is KATINA. I've never seen or known anyone with that name. Yes KatRina with an R but not Katina. What about that name? Of course if there was a doll named that I'd have to buy it's entire collection!!!!

    They already hit the nose once making a doll who moved to Des Plaines(I grew up in Des Plaines for most of my childhood and young adulthood).

  9. #39
    americangirl_fan
    Guest americangirl_fan's Avatar

    Post

    Hi all, and thanks for your input!
    Katya (short for Eskaterina) doesn't seem much like kit to me, because kit is short for "margaret", and Katya is Russian, so that name would be fine. WOuldn't it? And Tatiana- well, unfortunately it isn't russian. Shouldn't there be a name that reflects the time period and country she is from?
    Names I'd like: Tovah, Zipporah, Tzipporah, Katya (eskaterina), rifka, marina, more yet to come.... (=

  10. #40
    Inactive Member cami713's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    1,375
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Tatiana is a Russian name. Here is what my baby name book says about the name Tatiana:
    "Feminine form of Tatius, name of a king of the Sabines in ancient Italy, unknown meaning, but popular in Greece and Russia."

    I'm not sure why it matters where the name is from, as long as it's commonly used in Russia (or wherever).

    This is going to sounds really stupid, but as pretty as the name Katya is, I really think the collection has enough K names, Kit, Kirsten, Kaya, 3 out of the original 8.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •